Branding Doctors (4 months ago )
This one incident ruined our last day at the resort. I had terrible stomach upset from the food I had at the dinner. The reason we booked this hotel is because, we get not only to enjoy a great hospitality what Taj stands for, but also the fact that we need not worry about food safety. During the stay we observed a few food handling issues. Despite of us informing the staff well in advance about food allergies of our kids, the staff repeatedly brought in foods that they were allergic to. If it wasn’t for my ever vigilant wife, the entire experience would have ended in a nightmare.
However, on the last day I fell terribly sick from stomach upset and had to spend sleep less night in the toilet. This was ever so worrying as I have to travel the following day with a family of five. The hotel staff and doctor was supportive enough and gave me some medicine.
However , there was no apologies from the hotel side and no incident report taken from the hotel nor the restaurant side, which I found was very strange and left me with a bad taste. Lesson learned: never take food safety lightly even if you are in a luxury resort.